Lawn and Garden Tips to Beat the Summer Heat
When the thermostat outside is over 90 degrees, most garden plants, lawns, flowers, and veggies can tend to shut down. What is a homeowner to do? Here are some tips we have found that help make our yards in Carrington Lakes, Valencia, The Ranches, and Belleau Wood look their best!
- Choose Plants Wisely: Some plants are more heat tolerant than others!
- Water: Resist the urge to over water or soak your plants until they're soggy. You should only give your lawn and garden a inch at a time. If it is hot and dry water more often but do not increase the amount.
- Garden Pests- Spider mites are a problem in hot weather. Make sure you keep the leaves of your plants wet to discourage them!
- Weeds- No matter how hot is gets, weeds are always a problem! Sorry, you will need to keep weeding your flower beds and lawn.
- Containers- Remember to keep watering them! You can always move them to shadier locations as the temperature rises.
- Mulch- Add more mulch if needed. It is a great product to keep the soil cooler and helps to hold the moisture. Choose well composted mulches in hot weather rather than fresh manure or grass clippings.
After you have worked in the yard don't forget to take care of yourself! Find a swimming pool and relax. I can tell you our pools at Valencia and Carrington Lakes continue to be a popular place no matter how hot it gets!