If you are looking to make a change in your housing situation this year, knowledge is power. We decided to do a series on "Quick Tips" that you need to know before making that decision. It is important to not only look at the aesthetics of the home, but verify that the builder is trained and qualified to build the home.
Once you have decided the style of the home you are wanting (Farmhouse, Modern, Rustic, Mountain Lodge, Mid-Century Modern, Transitional, Urban, Tribal Chic, Traditional) you can create a list of potential builders who can meet those needs.
Be sure and contact your local home builder associations to verify that they are a member and in good standing. It is also very important to make sure they are a Certified Professional Home Builder. In order to become a certified professional builder, the builder must meet the following requirements.
- They must be a member of Oklahoma State Home Builders Association in good standing for at least 2 years.
- The builder must obtain 9 hours of continuing education each year to ensure they are up to date on the industries best practices and new regulations. 3 of the 9 hours must be on insurance, safety or ethics.
- All builders in the program must comply with Oklahoma statutes concerning residential contractors.
- A Certified Professional Builder must meet the credit check requirements set by their local association.
- To be eligible for the program, all builders must carry a minimum premium insurance policy of workers compensation and a minimum $1 million in general liability.
- Certified Professional Builders must be a member of their local associations for at least 2 years.
- A warranty must be provided to every homeowner for no less than one year.
- Each member must adhere to the Oklahoma State Code of Ethics. If you want to learn more about that you can find it here.
- Certified Professional Builders must build in compliance with the minimum construction standards.
Don't risk the biggest investment of your life with a builder that doesn't meet the Certified Professional Builder standard.