Thanksgiving Round Up - Arroz Con Leche (Costa Rican Rice Pudding)
Jerry Arias is the man behind the floor plans at Landmark Fine Homes. During the bid process, you might have liked one of our basic floor plans but decided you wanted to do some changes. Jerry takes those ideas and turns them into realty!
Jerry grew up in Costa Rica so his recipe is one that was shared throughout the year, especially Christmas Eve. No celebration is ended without a good “arroz con leche” (rice with milk) a very traditional Hispanic dessert, very sweet and made with lots of love, and memories to cherish for a life time.
"The main Holiday for us is Christmas Eve where all the extended family gets together. Normally a big party celebrated at the living grandparent’s home. Where the ladies of get together to prepare and cook Costa Rican Tamales (bigger and thicker than your normal Mexican tamales, and each one is wrapped around with green banana leaves), we also cook big pots of “arroz con pollo” (rice with chicken) and veal meat. While the men sit and talk about soccer or watch the best game of the season all over again. The children are just children, running around, playing, climbing trees and becoming friends with any new cousins they missed over the past few years. The teens and young adults just relax and catch up on everyone’s life. Any gifts are given to the children and the grandparents first, all other are done at each family’s home, keeping the families together, The celebration goes on all morning through the late night, until the last one leaves after cleaning the grandparents’ home. "
ARROZ CON LECHE (COSTA RICAN RICE PUDDING)
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 can sweet condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 4 cups of milk
- ½ cup of water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- ½ cup raisins
- 6 cloves
- In a saucepan, bring rice, milk, water, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and cloves to a boil over high heat.
- Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the sweet condensed milk and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the evaporated milk, the vanilla extract and the raisins and cook for 10 more minutes until it thickens to the desired consistency. Add more milk if you want your Arroz Con Leche thinner, as it will thicken once it cools down.
- Serve it chilled or at room temperature.
Online Source: http://www.oliviascuisine.com/the-world-cup-gourmet-series-costa-rica-arroz-con-leche-rice-pudding/