How to Decorate an Open Floor Plan Home
As new homes are being built, many homeowners are going with an open concept floor plan. Instead of walls separating each room, the main floor is opened up to one large space. Finding ways to separate it into functional areas is challenging, but can also be fun and has created all new ways to living. Here are some ways that you can get the most out of your open floor concept home.
What Is An Open Floor Plan?
An open concept floor plan consists of taking the main floor and opening it up to one big unified room. Traditional homes take away floor space with extra walls and hallways. Opening up the main floor gives you that space back. It also makes the home feel larger, as people often feel confined when in separate rooms.
Removing the walls creates a seamless flow from the living room to the kitchen. Without the walls, people can still feel connected to the action even if they’re in a different space. Great for entertaining, you’ll never feel left out from the action in an open floor plan home.
Variations Of An Open Concept Plan
Many open concept plans have a variation of a combined living room, dining room, and kitchen. Usually, two of the three or even all three are combined.
- The kitchen and dining room - Often the kitchen and dining room share the same space with an island in the kitchen as a divider between the two.
- The dining room and living room - Both areas can share a common room. To visually break them up, a different paint scheme or ledge can be used to separate the two.
- The living room, kitchen, and dining room - All three can be incorporated into one open plan. These are usually paired with vaulted ceilings to open the space up even more.
If you’re deciding how to layout your next home, talk to one of our design coordinators who can help you create your dream home.
How To Combine Area Rugs Into An Open Floor Plan
Area rugs are a simple and effective way to divide up rooms in an open space. Rugs come in all shapes in sizes. Adding one to a room can set a unique tone that’s different than another space in the home. Rugs can also offer a sense of inclusion in a particular space.
- Oriental rugs compliment areas well. They provide texture and style to any space. Perfect for any dining or sitting area, these rugs do well in larger areas.
- Round rugs can be used around furniture. They’re best used around a statement chair or other piece of furniture in the living room. Pair shapes with shapes. Combine a round table with a round rug.
- Different size rugs divide up rooms easily. Small rugs can be used to define a space for activities such as reading. Place a larger rug under the couch to give a more relaxed feel away from the kitchen or dining area.
- Showing off your style is the most important. It’s your home — decorate it how you see fit. Choose patterns and colors that help you feel relaxed and comfortable.
To get the most use out of area rugs, maintaining and caring for them is important. We recommend cleaning rugs several times a year to allow them to last a lifetime.
What Color To Paint An Open Floor Plan
Stick to one palette when choosing a paint scheme. A good rule to follow is picking three to five colors for a space. Choose a white or light color, two neutrals, and two supporting colors. Stick to color families such pair whites to whites or blues to blues. Of course you can reserve one distinct color to give your palette some pop. This one can be used for accent walls.
Stay consistent with your tones. Coordinate your colors so they’re all the same intensity. Choosing different degrees of brightness can be difficult on the eyes. A family of soft neutral tones is a perfect start.
And, of course, you aren’t limited to just painting the wall. You also have archways, trim, ceilings, and cabinets that need some color too. Always look to add a little more color in every spot of your home.
How To Decorate An Open Floor Plan
Open floor plans create many opportunities for being creative with how you divide space.
Symmetry can be your best friend. Pairing a space with two sofas or chairs can create the perfect living room setup. Adding a large dining table with matching chairs can give your space that symmetrical and orderly look.
Make the kitchen island the centerpiece. Turn the island into an everyday dining area with barstools and an adjacent group of sofa and chairs to take away the formalness of the area and create a more casual look.
Create distinct corners in your space for specific purposes. For avid readers, create a cozy reading nook. Decorate the opposite corner, to your passion for music or another hobby. Although they’re in the same room, they won’t overlap with each other and clash.
Decorating your home is exciting. It can be that breath of fresh air your home needs. When decorating, always remember it’s your home. There isn’t a right or wrong way to style your home. Every person is unique and how you show off your style is different than your neighbors. Develop a space that’s relaxing and comfortable for you.
If you’re looking to create your dream home, contact us today. Our custom homes are energy efficient and built with the most attention to detail. Make your next house the home of your dreams with Landmark.